South Australia makes major changes to the DAMA Occupation List
What is a DAMA?
The South Australian Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) is a formal agreement between the Australian Government, represented by the Department of Home Affairs and the South Australian Government, Department for Innovation and Skills. The DAMA enables South Australian employers to sponsor skilled overseas workers for positions they are unable to fill with local workers.
After only granting six visas in the first year, South Australia is looking to attract more skilled migrants with an overhaul of the Designated Area Migration Agreement DAMA Occupation List.
The South Australian Government has entered into two DAMAs:
- Adelaide Technology and Innovation Advancement Agreement
This agreement focuses on Adelaide’s high-tech growth industries including defence, space, technology and advanced manufacturing industries. The Adelaide City Technology and Innovation Advancement Agreement is the Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) covering metropolitan Adelaide.
- South Australian Regional Workforce Agreement
This agreement focuses on the South Australia’s regional high growth industries including agribusiness, forestry, health and social services, tourism and hospitality, construction and mining. The South Australian Regional Workforce Agreement is the Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) covering the entire state of South Australia.
There are a range of new occupations under these two DAMAs with a focus on health care, manufacturing, high-tech sectors, agribusiness and food production. The additions are:
- 63 occupations in the Adelaide City Technology and Innovation Advancement DAMA list (Metro);
- 137 occupations in the South Australian Regional Workforce DAMA list (Regional);
- 29 new occupations not classified on the ANZSCO catalogue (code 070499) have been added.
In a last-minute change, South Australia also added 3 new occupations:
Metro DAMA list
- 311499 Science Technicians nec
Regional DAMA list
- 323315 Saw Maker and Repairer
- 421111 Child Care Worker (Group Leaders Only)
See the full DAMA Occupation List here.
In addition to these new occupations, there are also DAMA concessions for:
- Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT)
- English language
- Permanent Residence Pathway?and Age
Contact us for more information about these concessions.
With these additional occupations and generous concessions, South Australia is increasingly a very attractive place for skilled migrants. For more information and professional advice contact the migration experts at This is Australia.